Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Persuasive Series Initial Critique

Card 1
Card 2
Card 3
Card 4
Chocolate
Chocolate Box

The above images show the first round of concepts created for this Persuasive Series on Chocolate. I decided to create a post-breakup campaign that caters chocolate as a remedy for those rough times for girls (sorry guys, your series might come later!) The three media I chose were (1) a sympathy post-breakup card for friends/family to buy and give to the one in need of a little encouragement, (2) a small square chocolate that caters to people needing a little pick-me-up for their rough days, and (3) a small horizontal box of chocolates for people to either buy for themselves or others who are having a heart-ache or bad break-up. 

Though numerous cards were developed, cards 1-4 were my personal choice for the most effective designs and color combinations based off of the red-orange spot color I chose for this series. The first card reads, "His Loss...Your Gain" with a small space for the buyer to place a piece of chocolate when they send the card. Simple symbolism is used along with this text and a creative pattern covers the back of the card. The second card shows that chocolate is greater than guys, then on the inside reads "I always preferred chocolate anyways" and shows similar symbolism and layout. 

The chocolate bar label shows the same symbolism and sayings on it with a small four-piece chocolate bar that has the symbols imprinted on each square. It is meant to be a small, quick piece of chocolate that is enticing and inviting to the buyer as it is just the right size to not feel too guilty. This chocolate piece is also the perfect size to fit into the space provided in each of the cards and a display stand for these chocolates can be placed next to these cards for more cohesive marketing. 

The last box of chocolates also carries similar text and symbolism. The inside of the box shown above is meant to depict an empty tray of chocolates that has a symbol of the series on the bottom of each chocolate space. The buyer has a progressive interaction with the packaging and this helps to reinforce the branding of this campaign for chocolate. 

The suggestions that my classmates gave me were very useful: (1) to keep the card-back-pattern simple or even making the designs themselves smaller to make the pattern less dominant in relation to the text. Also, the white and warm orange-red cards seemed to be viewed as more effective; (2) the small chocolate bar should also refine the patterned design behind the label's front symbols in order to make the small design less busy. (3) the box pattern should also stay away from patterns that are too bold and dominant, however the concept itself works well. Overall, the feedback received was fairly positive and encouraged me to push the concepts further and work on formulating a plan for crafting the final products of this series. 




2 comments:

  1. Anna-
    First, I'm sorry I had to leave critigue the other day. But, I wanted you to get as much feedback as possible, so I decided to comment on your blog! I wanted to say that I really enjoyed looking at these. I saw them when they were still sketches, and I think it's clear you have really progressed and thought out this project.

    I really like the cards. The iconography you chose really sums up your campaign well. If you are crunched for time, I really don't think you need card 4. It's basically the same as card 3, just white, and card three has that alternate background, which introduces variety into the series. I do like that other design though; the hearts and ripped paper motif is very elegant and conveys your concept well.

    Your chocolate bar idea is great. If you print the package on a satin type paper to make it look like Hershey's or something, I think your designs will have a real dimensionality to them. One idea I had when looking at the chocolate was that maybe somehow you could have the designs be whole hearts, and them when you break the chocolate to eat it, you break the heart... if that makes sense. I thought it might add an interesting interactive quality to it, and then when someone breaks the bar, it turns into your broken hear symbol automatically.

    Finally, I like you chocolate box idea. The flat color with only the saying works very well, and I like that i there were chocolates in the box, they would cover up the equation, so you'd have to eat ALL of them to fully get it. I think your ideas a all very well thought out. Are you going to actually construct the box and put chocolate inside. Also, I was wondering how you're going to put your graphics on the chocolate bar idea? If you're go to photoshop a chocolate bar, the bevel/emboss tool will help a lot to make it look real, as well as global lighting effects.

    Lastly, you slogan "i always preferred chocolate anyways" got me thinking about the proper usage of anyways vs. anyway. I don't know which is grammatically correct, they are both in the dictionary... but I've always used anyway, so I don't know... maybe I'm wrong, worth checking out though.

    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great feedback, Elliot. Also, Anna, nice to see all your images here and available for additional critique. Definitely consider the paper quality and texture that you use for printing your final pieces. It will help to add some 'sheen' to your whole campaign.

    ReplyDelete