Thursday, September 23, 2010

GD1 Book Review


The GD1 Book Review was the first project assigned for the semester and was meant to teach the importance of designing quality powerpoint presentations for our clients/audience. For this project, we were each to choose a design book that we felt would be a useful tool for brainstorming and skill-building over the semester. I chose a book written by Rob Ford on web design called "Guidelines for Online Success" and focused my powerpoint around this book's rich content and design. Each of my slides were formatted to look as the book did. Bright colorful tabs divided the chapters and sub-categories, and typographic designs helped to frame the content on each page. Over all, this book did a wonderful job organizing the wide range of content, tips, and sample imagery in a way that engaged, taught, and enticed the reader to look further. It was my aim to design this powerpoint in a similar way, hence why the designs of the book and my presentation shared numerous fundamental similarities. 

Upon completing and presenting my final project for this book review, I was fairly pleased with how it turned out. I enjoyed emulating the designs of the book in my powerpoint and I felt that the information presented was enough to convince my audience that they will want to check out this book. However, as with any project, there are improvements that can be made. One unexpected issue with my presentation was the fact that the projector made the colors and images much darker than what I had initially designed on my computer. Because of that, some of the slides and sample images were slightly too dark and some of the text was not as readable as it should have been. Another improvement that I would have liked to have made it to elaborate further on the examples shown in the book. I feel that this could have drawn in my audience further and overall would have shown some of the best features that the book has. However, I enjoyed doing this project and feel that I have a much better sense about the importance of designing presentations that are up to par with the level of designs I hope to be making. 

2 comments:

  1. Anna, your book presentation really made me want to go out and purchase your book. Not only does the book look very nice, but from your presentation it seems as if it has some great content. I'm not really into web design (I should be, but I'm not...) but your presentation got me a little more excited about it. You effectively conveyed the theme of the book throughout your presentation - the tabs on the side were very effective (nicely done!) and you maintained a very consistent color pallet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your power-point presentation. The layout definitely mocked the design of your book and aided the progression from one cocept to the next. I loved the use of color in and typography in your slides. It looks like a lot of time was put into the outline of your presentation and how you wanted to present the the required information. Overall, your power-point inspired me to take a closer look into your book and what it has to offer.

    ReplyDelete